The winter season poses serious threats to drivers with limited visibility, icy road conditions, and harsh temperatures. Review these driving tips with all employees, not just those with access to company vehicles.
- Give yourself plenty of extra time to get to your destination.
- Check tires frequently for proper inflation.
- Check the battery to insure that the terminals are clean and well connected. Check the battery’s fluid levels and voltage regulator.
- Antifreeze levels, radiator leaks, or leaky hoses can all cause serious problems. Make sure the heater and defroster work properly.
- Replace blades if they streak the windshield and fill the washer reservoir with antifreeze washer fluid.
- Check snow tire treads- studded tires give you the best protection. Keep a set of tire chains in the vehicle.
- Clear the entire vehicle of accumulated snow.
- Keep in mind bridges freeze first – they can be icier than the road approaching.
- Remember to travel at a safe following distance, brake carefully, and watch for icy spots – keeping the weight of your vehicle in mind.
For more information on how you can keep your drivers safe this winter contact The Flanders Group at 800-462-6435 or www.FlandersGroup.com.