Skip to main content

Types of Cases to Record for OSHA

By February 27, 2012August 22nd, 2018

While it is administratively challenging to keep records for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and report them per compliance requirements, you may be relieved to learn that only certain types of injury and illness cases are deemed recordable. Because The Flanders Group serves New York state marinas, auto/RV dealerships, nurseries/landscapers, manufacturers and refuse companies, most of our clients must follow OSHA recordkeeping and reporting rules. Here we explain what cases OSHA expects you to record.

The basic OSHA recordkeeping rule requires most companies with more than 10 employees to record all work-related injuries and illnesses that result in death, loss of consciousness, medical treatment beyond first aid, days away from work, restriction of work, or transfer to another job. Before recording any workplace employee injury or illness, check it against these six criteria and be sure that it meets at least one.

Your OSHA log should include only those cases that meet the recordability criteria, as listed above. Many workplace incidents may look like recordable injuries but do not meet the criteria. For example, a work-related rash that can be treated with a nonprescription ointment and that does not result in any job restrictions or time away from work is not a recordable case.

One recordability criterion that may be confusing is “work-related injuries and illnesses that result in medical treatment beyond first aid.” The example above could easily be confused – the employee used medicine to relieve and cure the rash, but the treatment is classified as first aid so it the case did not need to be recorded. Thankfully, OSHA provides a specific definition for “first aid” and we cover this in another blog.

If you have any questions, seek more clarification about OSHA’s recordability criteria, or want help determining if any injuries or illnesses in your workplace qualify to be recorded in your OSHA log, please contact us at The Flanders Group for assistance.